The members of Lothian & Borders Community Justice Authority are drawn from the membership of the five local authorities in the CJA area, bringing individual councils together for the purposes of:
- Developing a Strategic Area Plan for the management of offenders in liaison with local authorities, the Scottish Prison Service and other partners;
- Receiving and distributing amongst local authorities funds provided by Ministers for criminal justice social work under section 27A of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968;
- Promoting and sharing good practice;
- Monitoring and reporting on local authority performance; If necessary intervening to ensure the local authority elements of the area plan are delivered; and
- Carrying out wider monitoring and reporting functions on other partners, including SPS, NHS, Police, COPFS, Scottish Courts Service.
The five members in Lothian & Borders are: East Lothian, City of Edinburgh, Mid Lothian, Scottish Borders, West Lothian.